satyridae

Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities
Nigella Lawson, Lis Parsons
Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause
Judy Norsigian, Boston Women's Health Book Collective, Vivian Pinn

Emily of Deep Valley: A Deep Valley Book (P.S.)

Emily of Deep Valley: A Deep Valley Book - Maud Hart Lovelace, Vera Neville I always say I don't like this book, and it's one of the few in the series I have not read countless times. This time through, I wanted to analyze that assertion, and I can say with conviction that I like the book just fine. It's Emily I don't like. There's very little I find congenial about her, and I am pretty sure we couldn't ever be friends. All this time I thought it was Grandpa Webster who rubbed me the wrong way but, no. It's Emily.My friend Wendy is absolutely right, Grandpa Webster would have happily gone along with anything Emmy wanted. He would have signed checks and engaged a day nurse so that Emily could go off to college. But no, martyr-like, she needs must stay at home with him. I could enumerate the things I don't like about Emily (I took notes!) but it doesn't matter.I enjoyed the book very much as a return to Deep Valley. I loved visiting with familiar, well-loved characters. I especially liked Miss Bangeter smiling and hugging Emily. There's a lot to love about this book, I realize belatedly. It's just that the main character isn't one of those things for me.