satyridae

Nigella Lawson, Lis Parsons
Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause
Judy Norsigian, Boston Women's Health Book Collective, Vivian Pinn

The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry

The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry - Jon Ronson I had some trouble with the authorial voice. Ronson sounds a lot like David Finch, the author of the last book I read, The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband, and I was a bit disconcerted in places. Ronson inserts himself into the narrative a LOT- here's a fairly typical bit of the sort that set my teeth on edge throughout: "What about his childhood?" I asked John Byrne before I set off for Shubuta. "Are there unusual stories about odd behavior? Getting into trouble with the police? Or torturing animals?""I went back to his high school but I don't believe I interviewed any of his old classmates," he replied. "I have no recall.""Oh," I said."I know he was a keen boxer as a child," he said."Oh?" I said."Yes, he made some comments about how much he enjoyed beating people up.""Oh, REALLY?" I said."And his sister once said he threw darts at her dolls.""Oh REALLY?" I said.I wrote in my notepad: Throws darts at sister's dolls, enjoys beating people up. Stylistic quirks aside, this book was interesting but choppy. There were several horrific, totally believable stories about people institutionalized for years for what appears to be no good reason. There were also some creepy psychopath stories that made my skin crawl. 2.5