satyridae

Nigella Lawson, Lis Parsons
Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause
Judy Norsigian, Boston Women's Health Book Collective, Vivian Pinn

Jo's Boys

Jo's Boys - Louisa May Alcott I've been listening to this at night, along with Little Men, for the last few weeks. I haven't a shred of objectivity abou this particular book, as it's one of my all-time favorites. Revisiting it as an adult, I can see more clearly some of its weaknesses, in particular its preachifying and the stilted way some of the character traits (Nan, most notably) are portrayed. However, this matters not the shadow of a whit to me, for these people are so alive, and Plumfield so dear that I hardly notice the flaws. I'm caught up in the stories and delighted all over again. The narration is wonderful here, enough so that I've listened to this multiple times in a few days. There's so much here. There's the morality of the times, there are the impossibly high ideals, there's the reverence for humanity's inherent goodness, there's humor and pathos and heroism and tragedy. This is, without a doubt, one of my desert island books. I rarely re-read Little Women, and hardly a year goes by without I read this one twice.