satyridae

Nigella Lawson, Lis Parsons
Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause
Judy Norsigian, Boston Women's Health Book Collective, Vivian Pinn

Deer Hunting with Jesus: Dispatches from America's Class War

Deer Hunting with Jesus: Dispatches from America's Class War - Joe Bageant Reading this book was in a lot of ways like going home. Bageant and I grew up in similar milieus and the stories here were both familiar and infuriating. This book is a blistering indictment of the way the US operates, with a special emphasis on how the working poor are manipulated, deluded, and used. There's so much to digest here, and though some of the information is dated (always a problem with the topical political book), it is well worth reading. The working poor don't get much press aside from the dismissive, and untrue tropes used in election years. This book, to my eyes, definitively answers why the working poor vote against their own interests so consistently. Bageant also predicted the mortgage crisis accurately- down to about the third decimal place, which makes what he says about the next wave of financial and environmental ruin that much more chilling. Accessibly written in a casual, profane and fond tone. I found Bageant's voice familiar, if not comforting. Highly recommended, especially for liberals who think they know all about the poor people and why they can't succeed.