satyridae

Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities
Nigella Lawson, Lis Parsons
Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause
Judy Norsigian, Boston Women's Health Book Collective, Vivian Pinn

The Doper Next Door: My Strange and Scandalous Year on Performance-Enhancing Drugs - Andrew Tilin I think I disliked this book so much because it didn't at all match up with what I thought I was getting. I somehow expected a pop sci book, full of anecdotes and statistics, interviews with doctors and current, former and potential performance-enhancing drug users from all walks of life. That is the book I wanted to read, so it was that much harder for me to like the book I did read, which was basically a memoir of a year in the life of a guy who may or may not be having a mid-life crisis.Tilin finds himself endlessly fascinating, and stops to examine his emotional state every twelve minutes. There was a lot about bike racing, which is not particularly interesting to me. There was a great deal of intimate discussion of his dysfunctional relationship with his wife, way more than I wanted to know in the context of what I thought I was reading. There was, as is probably inevitable in a book about testosterone written by a guy, a lot of following the penis around the room, analyzing what it was pointing at. There were not enough data points, not enough other "dopers" here. Tilin's ethical conundrums didn't hold my interest like a passel of anecdotes would have.I like memoirs as a rule, but this one was too claustrophobic, to far from my own experience to relate to. And I don't know any more than I did going in about performance enhancing drugs in general.