satyridae

Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities
Nigella Lawson, Lis Parsons
Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause
Judy Norsigian, Boston Women's Health Book Collective, Vivian Pinn

Life, on the Line: A Chef's Story of Chasing Greatness, Facing Death, and Redefining the Way We Eat - Grant Achatz;Nick Kokonas I heard about Achatz from my ex-caterer husband. My current husband, who used to be a caterer, I mean. He's still a foodie, and tends to come up with the oddest trivia- in this case, he was all excited about Achatz's cold griddle, which freezes foods the way a hot griddle cooks them. Then my stepmom, who is something of a connoisseur of memoirs by people who are facing some terrible medical issue, read and loved this book. So I sought it out.Achatz is an interesting character- intense, driven, and not the kind of guy you'd want to date. (Paraphrasing: "It's Wednesday, I've been here for 17 hours and have 70 hours in this week already") His philosophy of food is fun to read about, as is his relationship with Thomas Keller of The French Laundry. Some of the things he does with food sound purely goofy- and he's aiming for goofy, so that's okay. There's a playfulness about the food I'm reading about here that makes me want to taste it and see for myself. The part about his tongue cancer treatment was less engrossing for me, but I'm glad it seems to have worked out well for him.Recommended for foodies and/or cancer memoir junkies.