satyridae

Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities
Nigella Lawson, Lis Parsons
Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause
Judy Norsigian, Boston Women's Health Book Collective, Vivian Pinn

Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America - Robert Whitaker An entirely damning look at the psychiatric profession, Big Pharma, NIMH and the epidemic of mental illness the combination has caused. Whitaker looks at rates of diagnosis of such currently common maladies as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, anxiety and ADHD. He cites statistic after statistic showing how much better off most of the mentally ill are without medication, and in a terrifying chapter, focuses on what anti-depressants, anti-psychotics and ADHD drugs appear to be doing to the long-term mental health of our kids.The way the brain reacts to the medicines discussed here is fascinating. Though fascinating seems a callous word to use in this case, inasmuch as the drugs seem to be doing damage that may never be able to be undone.I expect Big Pharma to lie and manipulate and be generally evil. Frankly, I don't expect much more of psychiatry as a whole. But reading this and examining the data made me so sad and so angry and (dare I say it) so depressed.I'll leave you with a quote from The Lancet dated 2004:"The story of research into selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor use in childhood depression is one of confusion, manipulation, and institutional failure."