satyridae

Nigella Lawson, Lis Parsons
Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause
Judy Norsigian, Boston Women's Health Book Collective, Vivian Pinn

My Homework Ate My Homework

My Homework Ate My Homework - Patrick Jennings I picked this ARC up at ALA on the strength of the adorable cover and the clever title. I knew I was in good hands about 30 or so pages in, when I realized that I wanted to grab Zaritza and give her a good shake. Jennings has created an entirely believable 11-year-old drama queen who just walks right off the page, and one who I really didn't like at all for much of the book. I warmed up to her plenty by the end.Zaritza has a complicated life- a little baby sister, a cranky mom, an over the top dad and math homework. Lots of math homework. So much math homework that she's in danger of being kept out of the fifth grade play unless she gets it turned in. She's entirely self-centered and scheming, full of herself and full of drama in equal measure. How she learns that other people (and ferrets) might be something other than her supporting cast. Nicely drawn characterizations, involving plot and lots of laughs. Recommended for your favorite fifth-grader.