satyridae

Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities
Nigella Lawson, Lis Parsons
Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause
Judy Norsigian, Boston Women's Health Book Collective, Vivian Pinn

Objects of Our Affection: Uncovering My Family's Past, One Chair, Pistol, and Pickle Fork at a Time - Lisa Tracy This was a strange and disconcerting book. Tracy comes from an old American military family, and she and her sister find themselves the recipients of many lifetimes' worth of furniture after their mother dies. This book is the story of what they do with the furniture, who they are in the context of their family, and how they cope with who they are. The family, despite the author's insistence to the contrary, is solidly upper class. The Chippendale, the Hepplewhite, the Meissen seem somehow to be imbued with emotions that, in families more like mine, get expressed, acted upon and dissipate or concentrate over time. This family, by contrast, doesn't talk about what they feel, who they are. They grit their teeth and do the proper thing, time after time, ending in a morass of regrets and half-understood sadness.It's not an easy book to read, full as it is with could have beens. But it is indeed interesting to peer in the corner of a window at this family.