satyridae

Nigella Lawson, Lis Parsons
Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause
Judy Norsigian, Boston Women's Health Book Collective, Vivian Pinn

Divergent

Divergent - Veronica Roth Dystopian, sure. Believable? Not so much.I've been looking forward to this book for some time, and finally snagged a copy through my library's inspired "Lucky Day" program, wherein it makes a few copies of much-requested books available outside of the hold system, scattered around the branches. This rewards the consistent, frequent library-goer in a disproportionate fashion.There are plot holes in this book big enough to float the Queen Mary through. There are magical realities like the part where getting shot through the shoulder causes our hero to wince slightly while doing heroic things for several hours. The evil people are pure and unadulterated evil, not a redeeming characteristic in sight. The competent heroine learns everything with ease. The factions don't make any sense to me, there's not enough back-story provided. I understand that it's a futuristic Chicago, but WHY? What happened? Why does electricity work some places but not others? What's the point of Dauntless Faction besides getting drunk, jumping on and off moving trains (come to think of it, where are all these empty trains going, and why?), and doing other, more pointless stunts? Most of this book doesn't stand up to any sort of rational analysis.This book is one I really wanted to like but did not, though I was able to suspend my disbelief for whole paragraphs. I think Roth shows a great deal of promise. I'd like to read her 4th book. ETA: After brooding about this all day, I'm changing the stars. The more I think about it, the flimsier it gets.