satyridae

Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities
Nigella Lawson, Lis Parsons
Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause
Judy Norsigian, Boston Women's Health Book Collective, Vivian Pinn

The First Four Years (Little House)

The First Four Years - Laura Ingalls Wilder, Garth Williams A lovely warm fuzzy end to the series. (Yeah, I know there are more now, but this feels like the ride-off-into-the-sunset book- The First Four Years (Little House, #9) has always struck me as coda.)Deliciously scary buggy rides. Buttoned-up romance. The huge cultural divide from them to me is easier and more interesting to explore in this book because there is little overtly obnoxious (no minstrel shows, no harsh comments from Ma) and much that has changed completely. There's a lot of preaching, again- I wonder if the story arc, growing steadily more Christian, mirrors an actual change in the family's piety or just a growing awareness of it on Laura's part.There's also a great deal of suffering and self-denial, some of which seems nonsensical to this modern eye. I suspect it's a cultural divide, again, but what was so awful about having emotions? Why was that not okay? The writing, as in the entire series, is solid as a rock. It's the philosophy which has given me pause this time through.